Tuesday, November 21, 2006

What I like about people....

What I like about people.

Being ill has its advantages. Its having time to think. Time for reflection. I was taking account of all the people I can remember and what kind of influence they have had in my life both good and bad. Lets start with the baddest. The baddest showed the weakness in me. That person showed me how to respect myself, inadverently. So I thank her for that. All the other people in my life have helped me to become who I am. I think that the people who surround us define who we are as much as sometimes we would or would not like to. Ever had a shit relationship? It makes a difference on your outlook on life. Don't get me wrong though. It is in no way an excuse for when things go wrong that I can say "it was his/hers fault that I am the way I am". No not at all. I doubt very much if there can ever be a definition of ones self. Perhaps a description of ones habits and personality traits but that doesn't forever make them who they are. I've realised that in each person over time that that person changes. Some people can be unwilling to accept this possibility. But believe it or not, when you look back twenty or thirty years later, you will have changed. Human nature is to change and adapt. Its about how long it takes before it does happen.

So to the good influences on my life. My family of course........and,

my last partner was the best thing that happened to me. I thank her. Retrospectively I met her after the most god awful time in my life and she showed me what it is like to be with someone who loves you and doesn't expect anything in return; people who like you for whatever the way you are. I took liberties and in the end I realised that I wasn't good enough for her. The people that I know right now are fantastic. They bring normality and sanity and much happiness to me. I hope I do the same to them too. I suppose people spend far too much time in mainstream life to forget to reflect.

I wonder how many young people look at an elderly person and for once not think "there is that dithery old person again" and think what seventy, eighty or ninety years of experience has given them? Not many I suspect. I am fascinated by the very idea of what it might be like in that many years time. Well okay when I accumulate that many years of experience. Would I be able to teach a young whipper snapper a thing or two about life? Probably not. Could I give a toss? Probably not because I might just think that the young person I see before me will be living the life that they live in now just as I did back then.

2Darts signing off for tonight.

No comments: