Sunday, November 26, 2006

Odd and Controversial movies.

In the land of movie making there are truly some real oddities out there. I'm a fan of the strange, unusual and weird ones. Mainstream Hollywood productions share the same sort of genes with each other which make them all the more samey. Too much gloss, very little grit and frankly dishonest as they are all geared towards making profit. My list of unique filmography is as follows:

  • Dune
  • Society
  • The Devils Rejects
  • House of a 1000 Corpses
  • Mullholland Drive
  • Twin Peaks
  • Fire Walk With Me
  • Bitter Moon
  • Razor Blade Smile
  • Switchblade Romance
  • Big Fish
  • Old Boy
  • Battle Royale
  • Two Sisters
  • Straw Dogs
  • Baise Moi
  • Irreverisble
  • Eugenie
  • Requiem for a Dream
  • Romper Stomper
  • Pariah
  • Thirteen
  • Blue Velvet
  • Crash

Most of these I have either seen or are in my collection of DVD's. What drives directors to make such films? Controversy has always courted film makers the world over. The list above is a sample of films that dare to put taboo and distasteful subjects into the public domain. Whether people turn away in disgust, have a morbid fascination, voyeurism or intellectual curiosity, it still tickles a part of human nature that only the liberal minded type can only discuss.

Why am I writing about this? Because I spoke to a friend of mine about a week ago who told me something about herself and her past that suprised me. Yet she felt very happy to tell me this. I too am happy to know of this bit of her that I would personally would have kept to my self. It takes a lot of confidence to say what she said and with that I find myself one step closer as a friend to her.

As free and liberal as some mainstream attitudes of hollywood film makers think they are, I am bewildered by how most of the controversy they court is mostly for profit making rather than expanding peoples awareness of what really goes on in this world.

No comments: