Thursday, September 07, 2006

Singledom

Just before I embraced being single again, a friend of mine warned me against the pitfalls of being single. I found that bit of advice a little tactless to say the least and a reflection on his own circumstances. Unlike his predicament, my ex-girlfriend and I ended on good terms. Well as good as it gets considering the circumstances. The comment did however do its job. It made me think about it. Something that clearly didn't warrant too much thought initially but as time has come to pass, he might have been partly right. Of course people feel this way when they are alone. I think it was more a way of suggesting something about the kind of person I am. For the people that know me, I am a sociable person. I think it was the sociable person inside me that probably caused problems in the first place. Now that the life is that is singledom, I find it quite fulfilling. More time to reflect, more time to pursue women.....I'm only joking. Sometimes things just don't work out. That's it. No more explaining to do.

There are people in this world that can spend an eternity wondering why. Why? Every failed relationship (if that is the most important thing in ones life) is part of a learning process. It teaches people more about themselves than about others. Some people take an age to find out who they really are and what they really want. I have some friends that have resigned themselves to be single for the rest of their lives. Once upon a time I found that really strange. Why would anyone be happy to be single for the rest of their lives? Then I asked the question, what satisfies them so much so that there isn't any need or any room for anyone else? (Masturbation or a dildo. Only joking). Companionship. Its sounds like something an old person (i.e. over 60) would say. You may gasp in shock and horror at the last comment and so for anyone older than 60 reading this blog, I do apologise. I will look back at my blog in years to come and probably regret saying that. I think the essence of a relationship is not just about the initial physical attraction (am I stating the obvious?) but about feeling some satisfaction of knowing ones self and being happy about it that makes a relationship work. Everything else falls into place. They say that being in your thirties are one of the best times of your life. Indeed there are forty/fifty and beyond, something year olds that can say the same. Does this sound like the rantings of a thirty something year old with an optimistic look on life? Perhaps. But then again, I've always been optimistic.

No comments: